‘Any House Can Explode After That One:' Even After Atmos Shuts Off Gas, Dallas Residents Feel Unsafe

Linda Rogers’ neighbors are afraid. Ever since the 12-year-old died in a gas explosion that knocked her family’s northwest Dallas house off its foundation two weeks ago, fear permeates their lives.Most are still living in hotels. Some have stayed in their homes, finding work-arounds for cooking and bathing without natural gas. They’re waiting for Atmos Energy to turn the gas back on while workers replace the pipes under alleys and in their yards.But whether they’ve stayed or left, they’re worried a future leak will go undetected and another house could catch fire or explode.Elodia Gutierrez lives on the same block as the explosion. She worries gas still lingers in the pipes. She calls her neighborhood a “minefield."  Continue reading...

Read More

Copyright The Dallas Morning News
Contact Us