Last year's Liberty of London extravaganza for Target, believed to be one of the mass retailer's most popular partnerships, has paved the way for another multi-category lifestyle blitz, this time by Calypso St. Barth.
The line will feature clothing accessories, and lingerie for women, including plus-size dresses, clothing for girls and babies, and home décor pieces. The collection will debut in about 1,200 Target stores and online, on May and run through June 11 (assuming the goods aren't immediately snapped up).
The brand, known for its array of gorgeously colored silk shantung wrap dresses, embroidered tunics, and flowy tops and sweaters, has created a spring collection for Target that encompasses a wide range of merchandise. In addition to its signature beachy styles, Calpyso has taken this opportunity to re-introduce pieces for little girls, as well as to experiment with sleepwear and intimates. It's a smart move, allowing the brand to test-market new ideas while Target picks up the tab.
Stefanie Smith, president of Calypso St. Barth, told WWD, “It’s going to create so much recognition. When the announcement went out, we saw an increase in our orders online.”
Yesterday, Calypso previewed the collection at the Target design studio in New York, allowing editors to get a glimpse (and a grope) of the goods. Unlike past collaborative collections, in which the fabrications made the pieces much less desirable, a number of the Calypso designs are done in natural fibers, including cotton voile and silk. Even the metal-like and leather-like pieces have a pleasing and substantial feel.
Based on reports from a number of sources, inluding WWD and Racked New York, we compiled a list of what you can expect come May 1:
Womenswear ($19.99 to $49.99)
• Navy blue tie-dyed tunic with ivory crochet panels, $36
• Melon-hued tie-dyed maxi dress with rope belt, $49.99
• Cotton voile white harem pants, casual shorts, peasant tops, wrap dresses, oversize tie-dye tees, and sequined sundresses
• Boldly-colored bikinis
• Sleepwear and intimates with crocheted detailing
• Plus-size dresses (online only), up to $79.99
Accessories ($12.99 - $49.99)
• Hammered gold-tone necklace with rose beaded chain and tassel, $49.99
• Tie-dye canvas beach totes and makeup pouches, starting at $9.99
• Brightly colored flip flops, $12.99
• Canvas wedge espadrilles, $29.99
Baby Girl and Girls ($4.99 - $19.99)
• Pink tie-dye ruffle one-piece bathing suits
• Elephant print rompers
Home ($3.50 - $59.99)
• Brightly-hued acrylic plates, $3.50
• Glassware and serving pieces
• Candles and hammered metal-like votives
• Ceramic elephant tea pots in rose and cerulean blue
• Decorative throw pillows
• Gold and silver Moroccan-style poufs, $59.99