FBI Got Tip About Dallas Courthouse Shooter in 2016 - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
Breaking the Big Stories and Working for You

SEND TIPS1-800-566-5865

FBI Got Tip About Dallas Courthouse Shooter in 2016

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Parents Defend Gunman at Earle Cabell Federal Building

    The grieving parents of the gunman at the Earle Cabell Federal Building in Dallas said they feel their son intentionally missed easy human targets when he sprayed bullets into the building. (Published Thursday, June 20, 2019)

    NBC 5 Investigates has learned that the FBI received a call about three years ago about the U.S. Army veteran who opened fire on a courthouse in downtown Dallas.

    Brian Isaack Clyde was shot and killed Monday by security officers after he began shooting at the Earle Cabell Federal Building. The 22-year-old was armed with a high-powered rifle and more than 150 rounds of ammunition, but there were no other serious injuries or deaths.

    On Thursday night, the FBI released more information about the call, three years ago, saying "After the shooting at the Earle Cabell Federal Building in Dallas on June 17, the FBI determined it had previously received a call through its tipline about Brian Isaack Clyde. The call was received on July 1, 2016, and the caller reported that Clyde was suicidal and had a fascination with guns. The information provided did not contain any specific threat, and no investigation was conducted."

    Clyde's mother, Nubia Brede Solis, told NBC 5 Senior Investigative Reporter Scott Friedman that her son's half-brother had called the FBI with concerns.

    The call came while Clyde was enlisted. He served as an infantryman from August 2015 to February 2017 but was never deployed to a war zone, according to the Army. He was stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

    The FBI said Clyde was honorably discharged, but his short period of service suggests he left the military earlier than planned.

    The Army has declined to say why Clyde was discharged, citing privacy laws.

    More than a month before a gunman killed 17 people at a Florida high school in 2018, the FBI received a tip warning that Nikolas Cruz wanted to kill people and was planning a school shooting. The tipster also said Cruz owned guns, was acting erratically and had made disturbing social media posts.

    The FBI said it should've assessed that as a "threat to life" and referred it to agents in Florida, but that never happened.

    After the Parkland shooting, the FBI made changes to its tip line protocols. Additional employees and supervisors were brought on and more calls now need to be reviewed by a supervisor before they are closed.

    Boxing Champ Pernell 'Sweet Pea' Whitaker Dead at 55

    [NATL] Boxing Champ Pernell 'Sweet Pea' Whitaker Dead at 55

    Pernell 'Sweet Pea' Whitaker was fatally struck by a truck in Virginia Beach on Sunday night. The four-time champion boxer and Olympics gold medalist was 55.

    (Published Monday, July 15, 2019)

    Earlier this year, the FBI received a tip about a threatening social media post that was made by the gunman who opened fire at a synagogue near San Diego, but the bureau said it received the information too late to identify the suspect.

    The FBI was notified through its tip website and phone line just before the shooting and some of the tips included links to the post but didn't offer specific information about its author or the location threatened.

    In that case, the FBI said its employees immediately acted to identify who wrote the post, but the shooting took place before they finished.

    Associated Press writers Jamie Stengle in Dallas and Mike Balsamo in Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.

    Get the latest from NBC DFW anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android