Two Chicago-area fans are suing Beyoncé, alleging the singer is partially responsible for a rowdy crowd that “trampled” them at one of her performances last year.
Raquel Castellanos and Gabriella Davidson filed the suit Tuesday against the United Center, Live Nation Entertainment and Beyoncé in Cook County Circuit Court.
The “longtime fans of Beyoncé” said they purchased general admission tickets prior to her Dec. 13 show at the United Center and paid a premium for the right to stand in front of the stage.
The highly anticipated performance, part of the "Mrs. Carter Show," was expected to showcase songs from the singer’s newly released album, which was secretly released at midnight the night before her Chicago performance.
The women said they were standing in line at the venue hours before the concert, but as fans gathered and the show neared the “crowd became larger and more dense.”
The suit claims that United Center personnel opened a side gate for the awaiting crowd around 7 p.m., at which point the women said fans charged and rushed the opening.
“During the crush of the stampeding crowd, [Castellanos and Davidson] were overwhelmed with fear for their lives, lost consciousness and experienced broken bones and other injuries,” the suit stated.
They were eventually transported to a hospital by the Chicago Fire Department following the incident.
The women allege the United Center, Live Nation and Beyoncé did not take appropriate measures to prevent or discourage the teaming crowd from rushing, pushing and running toward the United Center once the gate was opened.
The women are suing for negligence on the part of the United Center, Live Nation and Beyoncé and are seeking an undisclosed amount in damages.
A representative for Live Nation would not comment on the suit, stating they "do not comment on pending litigation." Requests for comment from the United Center have not been returned and representatives for Beyoncé could not be reached.