NBC 5 and Blue Zones Project Fort Worth invite you to the Blue Zones Project Community Celebration on Saturday, November 10 at Will Rogers Memorial Center.
With well-being at a new high, Fort Worth is celebrating big news: Certification as a Blue Zones Community®. Becoming a Blue Zones Community reflects five years of work and citywide changes to make healthy choices easier where people live, work, pray, and play. In honor of the achievement, Fort Worth is designating November 5-9 as Blue Week, with businesses offering special promotions and tips for practicing Blue Zones Project® principles of longevity.
Sponsored by Texas Health Resources, Bell, The Fort Worth Promotion and Development Fund, the Amon G. Carter Foundation, the Sid W. Richardson Foundation, and Dasani Water, the community celebration will feature a variety of entertainment, plant-slant snacks and refreshments, activities for kids, pet adoptions, yoga, massage, gardening demonstrations, community volunteer opportunities, giveaways, and more.
Free parking is available at Farrington Field and UNT Health Science Center. Ride a bike to the event and enter to win a Blue Zones Project bike jersey at the Bike Corral. If you rent a bike through BCycle, use code 112018 for a $2 discount November 5-10.
To join the fun during Blue Week, check out these tips for healthy living and take advantage of the special promotions being offered throughout the city.
Mindful Monday. Download a mindfulness app. Create a quiet space in your home for relaxation and downshifting. Check out a Blue Zones Project Approved organization like Indigo Yoga, Mindset Fitness & Yoga, or Soul Space Yoga Community.
Tasty Tuesday. Try a plant-based recipe. Shop for produce specials at a Blue Zones Project Approved grocery store. Dine at one of Fort Worth’s Blue Zones Project Approved restaurants, including these offering Blue Week promotions:
- 10 percent off Blue Zones inspired menu items at Great Harvest Bread Company
- 10 percent off Blue Zones inspired menu items at Terra
- 10 percent off Blue Zones inspired menu items at Americado
- 10 percent off Blue Zones inspired menu items at Oliva Eatery
- 10 percent off Light and Tasty menu items at Nektar
- 10 percent off The Apple of My Eye juice at Righteous Foods
- $2 off Jackfruit Tacos at The Garden Market and Bistro
- Buy one Blue Zones inspired taco at Taco Heads, get one free.
Walking Wednesday. Initiate a walking meeting. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Take your dog for a walk. Form a walking group or “moai” to meet on a regular basis.
Thirsty Thursday. Drink to better health at one of Fort Worth’s Blue Zones Project Approved restaurants, including these offering Blue Week promotions:
- 50 percent off a juice or smoothie at Boulevard of Greens
- $3 off apple cider vinegar drink from The Garden Market & Bistro
- 15 percent off all wine flights starting at 5 p.m. at Grand Cru
- Happy hour pricing on any drink when ordering a Blue Zones inspired menu item at Americado
- $5 wine by the glass on select brands at Fixture
- $5 16 oz. smoothie or juice from Nektar
- 10 percent off fall Vin Brule special at Righteous Foods
- $4 glass of house wine from 5 to 7 p.m. at Terra
Fitness Friday. Participate in or host an employee-led group fitness class. Try Camp Gladiator, Body Bar Fitness, or Indigo Yoga. Go for a bike ride (use promo code 112018 at Fort Worth Bike Sharing stations for $2 off).
For more information on Blue Week and the community celebration, visit LiveLongFortWorth.com.
About Blue Zones Project Fort Worth
Blue Zones Project is a community-led well-being improvement initiative based on lifestyles of the world’s longest living people. Over the past five years, Blue Zones Project has worked with Fort Worth city leaders, neighborhoods, employers, schools, restaurants, grocery stores, and faith-based organizations to optimize the environment for well-being. More than 87,000 Fort Worth residents and 400 organizations have gotten involved in the Blue Zones Project movement.
Blue Zones Project Community Celebration
Saturday, November 10
2 PM - 5 PM
Will Rogers Memorial Center
3401 Lancaster Ave.
Fort Worth, TX