In a weekly post, we'll take a look around the AL West — what's happened so far, and what's on tap in the coming days.
1. Texas Rangers (86-72) — The Rangers have continued to win at a good enough clip to keep distance, despite losing a series in Houston over the weekend. In fact, if not for the Mariners blowing a lead Wednesday night, the Rangers could have won the division with a win on Thursday. But now they just need a little too much to wrap it up tonight. Regardless, it's coming soon, as the Rangers are in a great place. Next up: Tonight, 7:05 p.m., vs. Los Angeles Angels.
2. Houston Astros (84-75) — The Astros kept their slim hopes of winning the West alive with a comeback win on Wednesday night. Now, they sit and watch for a night before finishing off the year in Arizona under NL rules. So far this year, the Astros have dominated Interleague play and have especially been good in NL parks. Next up: Friday, 8:40 p.m., at Arizona Diamondbacks.
3. Los Angeles Angels (83-75) — The Angels can win the West with a four-game sweep this weekend. The chances of that happening are slim to none. They have to shoot for passing Houston and getting in via the Wild Card. Next up: Tonight, 7:05 p.m., at Texas Rangers.
4. Seattle Mariners (75-84) — Move along, nothing to see here. Next up: Friday, 9:10 p.m., vs. Oakland Athletics.
5. Oakland Athletics (66-93) — See above. Next up: Friday, 9:10 p.m., at Seattle Mariners.