Sean Davis, S, Maryland
Ht. 6'1", Wt. 201, Arm: 31 38", Hand: 9 12", Bench: 21
40 yd: 4.46, 10 yd.: 1.56, 3 Cone: 6.64, Vertical: 37.5", Broad: 10'6"
Games Watched: Michigan, South Florida
Washington, D.C., native Sean Davis stayed close to home when he enrolled at Maryland before the 2012 season. He played in every game as freshman, mostly on special teams, before becoming a productive starting safety as a sophomore and junior. He moved to outside cornerback as a senior and struggled, though he showed improvement throughout the year.
Davis showed potential on tape, but his stock took a leap forward after the season. His standout play at the Senior Bowl likely earned the attention of NFL scouts and coaches, including Cowboys staff in attendance. He also showed off his athleticism at the Combine, as Maryland players tend to do.
• Size - Optimum height, length
• Athleticism - Top athlete at the position
• Speed - Good long speed, quickness
• Coverage - Size, speed to stick to anyone
• Run Defense - Stout, aggressive, keeps contain
• Ballhawk - Creates turnovers
• Strength - Good for press, run support
• Physicality - Intimidating hitter
• Separation - Peeks at backfield in coverage
• Consistency - Technical flashes and lapses
• Inexperience - Bounced from S to CB
• Technique - Choppy backpedal, hip turn
Verdict: Second-Round Pick
Davis looks like a natural safety and he showed improvement and potential after being moved to cornerback. The Eric Rowe clone has the athletic tools and the intelligence to become at least a solid starter at any position in an NFL defensive backfield. He'll need coaching and experience, but he has the range and physicality to become a top free or strong safety.
Davis is another defensive back that has the versatility to appeal to Dallas on draft day. He could be an immediate upgrade to the team's strong safety position and, in time, handle roles at free safety and nickel cornerback. The Cowboys got a good look at him in Mobile and could decide his potential is too good to pass up in the second round.