Cowboys second-year right guard Zack Martin returned to the field Thursday morning for a walkthrough, the first time he’s been on the field since suffering a stinger in his neck on Tuesday, and suggested to reporters afterward that the injury may have looked worse than it was.
“I feel good,” Martin said, per Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “Just a little scare, but everything’s fine. I’m just going to do exactly what [Cowboys trainer Britt Brown] says.”
Martin, who was hurt when he lowered his head while making a block during Tuesday’s joint practice with the Rams, is expected to be out for around a week.
“I could have kept my head up for sure,” Martin said. “It’s definitely a learning experience there. Just get better and get out there.”
Not that it comes as any surprise but Martin, who was named First Team All-Pro last season as a rookie, has been having a nice training camp.
“Zack is one of those guys that I can say this to you honestly, he gets better each and every day,” Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said. “It goes to the ability he has, but much more importantly the approach that he takes. We saw that last year. Really once he was drafted and got into the OTA and the offseason program he was really excellent from the start.
“You can just see that he’s someone who strives to get better with every opportunity that he gets. He certainly did that coming off of last year, getting back into the offseason program, throughout the offseason and up to this point in camp. He’s a damn good football player. At this point in his career, I think we all know that, but what makes him really special is his desire to be a great player. He works at it every day.”