fighting hunger

Tarrant Area Food Bank's Empty Bowls Event to Feed 3,000 Families Thursday

The Tarrant Area Food Bank transformed the Empty Bowls event to an online fundraiser where donors can sponsor boxes of food for families

TAFB-Decorative Empty Bowls
Tarrant Area Food Bank

Join NBC 5 and the Tarrant Area Food Bank and help fight hunger at the “Empty Bowls” fundraiser event!

Although the annual signature event hosted by the Tarrant Area Food Bank may look different this year, the main focus still remains the same: eliminating hunger.

After the event was canceled in 2020 due to COVID-19, the Tarrant Area Food Bank reinvented the Empty Bowls fundraiser to provide a different look and feel. This year, Empty Bowls will be a mega food distribution, powered by Empty Bowls supporters.

With a safe plan in action, following CDC protocol, the reinvented program will help those in need across 13 county service areas in North Texas.

The Tarrant Area Food Bank transformed the Empty Bowls event to an online fundraiser where donors can sponsor boxes of food for families.

"The spirit of the event continues, just now in a safer way that will put a literal spin on filling the bowls of our friends and neighbors," Julie Butner, President and Chief Executive Officer of TAFB, said in a news release.

Donors can purchase a box for a family, or multiple boxes for multiple families, by filling out a donation form at www.tafb.org/empty-bowls.

On the donation form, donors must indicate if they would like to participate in the Donor Appreciation Event. At the event, donors will receive a gift box that contains soup mix, their “studio bowl,” which will be handcrafted by local artists, and other exciting items. Donors can pick up their gift boxes at the contactless drive-thru appreciation located at Dickies Arena on March 26.

"Although I'm disappointed we can't be on-site and cooking for the Empty Bowls guests, this cause is crucial and I want to support it as I have done for many years past," said Jon Bonnell, chef and restauranteur. "This event carries so many fond memories for me and my staff. While we know someday it will be back in person, for now, we want to be involved wherever we can to promote the community to continue its involvement by giving online."

For more information about the Tarrant Area Food Bank’s Empty Bowls Event, visit www.tafb.org/empty-bowls.

The Tarrant Area Food Bank strives to empower communities and help eliminate hunger by providing food, education and resources through innovation and collaboration. Through a network of 350 partners, the Tarrant Area Food Bank is able to provide access to over 1 million weekly nutritious meals to children and adults facing hunger. To learn more, visit www.tafb.org.

NBC 5 is a media sponsor of the Tarrant Area Food Bank’s Empty Bowls fundraiser.

Tarrant Area Food Bank
Empty Bowls Fundraising Event 2021
March 26th
To become a donor, visit www.tafb.org/empty-bowls.
For more information, visit www.tafb.org.

Contact Us