Dallas

Praise in Pink 2019

Saturday, October 12

NBC 5 invites you to Praise in Pink on Saturday, October 12, from 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at the I.M. Terrell Academy for STEM and VPA in Fort Worth. Susan G. Komen® Greater Fort Worth will present this exciting new event to provide breast cancer education, outreach and advocacy to underserved African-American communities throughout our service area while showcasing local praise and worship music and other inspirational talent from our local community and congregations. The I.M. Terrell Academy for STEM and VPA is located at 1900 IM Terrell Way in Fort Worth.

African American women in the Dallas-Fort Worth region have the third-highest breast cancer mortality rate in the U.S. In addition, African American women:

•    Are 34.242% more likely to die from breast cancer than Caucasian women in Tarrant County.
•    Under age 35 get breast cancer at two times the rate of Caucasian women and die from breast cancer three times as often.
•    Have the highest odds of getting triple negative breast cancer, a kind that often is aggressive and comes back after treatment. It has the highest mortality rate and is the only breast cancer sub-type that does not have a therapy to prevent recurrence.

Early detection, however, makes all the difference, and Komen Greater Fort Worth provides grants to local health care providers to provide mammograms and diagnostic services to uninsured and underinsured women in Tarrant, Johnson, Parker and Hood counties. One of our grantees, Texas Health Resources, will have their mobile screening unit onsite at the Praise in Pink event for tours and to schedule future mammograms.

Praise in Pink
Saturday, October 12
5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
I.M. Terrell Academy
For STEM and VPA
1900 IM Terrell Way
Fort Worth
www.komengreaterfortworth.org/praise/

Contact Us