The commute along Interstate 635 could be a congested one on Friday.
Big construction plans begin today along I-635 with lane closures between Montfort Drive and Welch Road. There will also be ramp changes along the freeway.
Starting at 6 a.m. eastbound and westbound I-635 will be reduced from four lanes into three.
This is all part of the I-635 express project that aims to relieve severe congestion on a 13-mile stretch of road along I-635 from I-35E to I-75, down to Loop 12.
The project will widen the eight main lanes, add shoulders, improve Frontage Road and create six toll lanes between or below Frontage Road.
Texas Department of Transportation said the express lanes will give drivers the option to pay for a faster commute with a guaranteed 50 mph traffic flow. However, commuters should be aware that as traffic increases so will the rates.
Drivers should also expect some exit ramps will be shifted to temporary ramps at Inwood, Midway and the Dallas North Tollway.
The lane closures are prep work for construction scheduled to begin Labor Day weekend.
Please see below for a list of ramp closures and road closures including expected times.
Eastbound LBJ will be reduced to three lanes beginning 6:00 a.m. Friday morning. Prep work for this reduction is listed below: 8:00 p.m. Thursday, August 23rd to 6:00 a.m. Friday, August 24th:
- Midway entrance ramp to Eastbound LBJ @ 8 p.m.
- Eastbound LBJ to Inwood Road/Dallas Pkwy @ 8 p.m.
- Southbound DNT to Eastbound LBJ @ 10 p.m.
- Eastbound LBJ to Northbound DNT @ 10 p.m.
- Eastbound LBJ to Southbound DNT @ 10 p.m.
Westbound LBJ will be reduced to 3 lanes beginning 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Prep work for this reduction is listed below: 9:00 p.m. Friday, August 24th to 10:00 a.m. Saturday, August 25th:
- Preston entrance ramp to Westbound I-635 @ 9 p.m.
- Westbound LBJ to Inwood Road/Dallas Pkwy @ 9 p.m.
- Westbound LBJ to Northbound DNT @ 11 p.m.
- Westbound LBJ to Southbound DNT @ 11 p.m.
- Northbound DNT to Westbound LBJ @ 11 p.m.