Our mouths are already watering.
With only 10 days to go ‘til Taste of the NFL: The Ultimate Dallas Cowboys Tailgate Party, we’re eagerly anticipating a night of feasting, fun and famous faces to benefit the North Texas Food Bank.
Headlining the event’s impressive roster of celebrated local chefs is Kent Rathbun, proprietor of Jasper’s, Rathbun’s Blue Plate Kitchen and the incomparable Abacus. Chef Rathbun will be serving up his Smoked Pork Sliders for guests that evening, but he’s treating us to an advance preview of the recipe today.
Whip up a batch of these little beauties to whet your appetite for the tailgate party to come. For more information and tickets, visit NTFB.org.
Kent Rathbun’s Smoked Pork Sliders
For The Baste:
½ cup Kent Rathbun Elements Ancho Barbecue Sauce* (or your favorite prepared sauce)
2 cups Champagne vinegar
For The Pork:
1 10 -12 lb. pork shoulder
8 tbsp. Kent Rathbun Elements Family Barbecue Rub* (or your favorite prepared rub)
8 tbsp. Kent Rathbun Elements Steak & Chop Salt* (or your favorite seasoned salt)
¼ cup olive oil
For The Sliders:
24 small slider rolls (Chef Rathbun prefers soft potato rolls)
4 oz. butter, melted
1 cup bread & butter pickles, drained
2 cups Kent Rathbun Elements Ancho Barbecue Sauce
1. Mix barbecue sauce and vinegar together and set aside for basting.
2. Rub pork shoulder with olive oil and season with barbecue rub and steak and chop salt. Rub until all seasonings are evenly distributed.
3. Place in a wood smoker for 10 to 12 hours at 225°, basting every hour throughout the cooking process.
4. When smoking is complete, pull the meat apart with a fork.
5. Slice rolls in half, brush with melted butter and toast in a 350° oven or on a griddle.
6. Pile 2 oz. pulled pork on each bun, then top with bread & butter pickles and a bit of additional sauce. Serves 8.
*Kent Rathbun Elements products will be available online April 20, and at area Central Market stores April 21.