This morning, NBCDFW took a live ride on the New Texas Giant, opening Friday, April 22, 2011 at Six Flags Over Texas.
While we stayed safe and G-force free in the studio, we got a live look at folks riding the ride -- many for the first time -- and even got Rollercoaster! Magazine reporter Tim Baldwin to give us a on-ride commentary of the new coaster. (See the above video for all the action.)
The new version of the wooden roller coaster uses a new steel track, updated cars, new ride theming, and a huge 79-degree initial drop that makes it the steepest in the world for a wooden coaster.
We've been covering the Giant renovations since Novemeber 2009, when it was first closed for the $10 million upgrade. See our previous coverage below.
- Six Flags Over Texas Celebrates 50 Years
- Photos: New Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas
- Construction of the New Texas Giant
- The New Texas Giant Is Virtually Here
- Texas Giant's $10 Million Renovation Rolling Along
- Six Flags to Have Steepest Drop in the World
- Crews Knock Down Texas Giant
- Texas Giant Closes for Facelift
Special thanks to Six Flags Over Texas for the on-board cameras during the ride.