There were plenty of Week 8 performances over the weekend that raised our eyebrows. They are also known as beastly performances.
1. John Alvarez, RB, Birdville: On a team making splashes with its high-octane passing game behind QB Josh Dorman, Alvarez carried his team to a 42-16 win over Saginaw Boswell on Friday. He had 35 carries for 255 yards as the Hawks shifted focus to a run game as Alvarez scored four times to keep Birdville's unblemished record alive.
2. Cam McDaniel, RB, Coppell: Well, I picked my alma mater, Flower Mound Marcus, in this crucial 6-5A matchup, but McDaniel helped Coppell beat Marcus pretty easily as he scored five touchdowns -- three receiving and two rushing. He finished with 124 yards on nine catches and 41 yards on 17 carries.
3. Damian Willis, RB, McKinney: Just call it the week of passing teams giving their running backs some love. McKinney and QB Zach Lee defaulted to Willis in Friday's 49-35 win over Frisco Centennial as he rushed for a beastly 325 yards on 31 carries and scored three touchdowns.
4. Tommy Avers, RB, Southlake Carroll: Avers got minimal work in Friday's 70-21 blowout win over Flower Mound, but he made the most out of what he got, carrying the ball for 211 yards on just 12 carries and scoring three times.
5. Josh McClure, WR, Denton: I never thought the Broncos would have a "Beast of the Week", after all they are past 20 district games without a win now and are 1-7 this year, but McClure had a monstrous game in Friday's 14-10 heartbreaking loss to The Colony. The receiver caught 21 balls for 202 yards.
Adam Boedeker is a sports writer/award-winning blogger for the Denton Record-Chronicle. He's out having a taco.