Search Warrant Shows New Details in Case of South Miami Man Accused of Killing Wife and Posting Photo of Body to Facebook | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Search Warrant Shows New Details in Case of South Miami Man Accused of Killing Wife and Posting Photo of Body to Facebook

Derek Medina told detectives he shot wife six to eight times when she started punching him, warrant says

processing...

NEWSLETTERS

The South Miami man who police say killed his wife then posted a photo of her body on Facebook made an unexpected court appearance Friday morning. Derek Medina’s attorney Saam Zangengh and Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Yvonne Colodny spoke about the case. (Published Saturday, Aug. 17, 2013)

The South Miami man who police say killed his wife then posted a photo of her body on Facebook told detectives he shot her six to eight times when she started punching him, according to a newly released search warrant.

The warrant, obtained by the Miami Herald, also said police took two Samsung cellphones, three Dell computers and an iPad from the home of Derek Medina, who is charged with first-degree murder in the Aug. 8 shooting death of Jennifer Alfonso.

Medina, 31, is scheduled to be arraigned on Aug. 29.

No Bond for Man Accused of Killing Wife, Posting Photo on Facebook

According to the warrant, Medina admitted to posting the photo and an admission on his Facebook page before he surrendered to police.

"Im going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news," he wrote. "My wife was punching me and I am not going to stand anymore with the abuse so I did what I did I hope u understand me."

Medina told detectives he grabbed his Bersa Thunder .380-caliber pistol during an argument with Alfonso and pointed it at her, then followed her downstairs when she threatened to leave him, the warrant said.

VIDEO: Father Speaks About South Miami Woman's Death

She grabbed a knife but he was able to take it away and put it back into a kitchen drawer, the warrant said.

“Mr. Medina then shot the victim six or eight times because she began to punch him,” the warrant said.

Alfonso's 10-year-old daughter was home during the murder but wasn't harmed, officials said.

VIDEO: Man Accused of Killing Wife Makes Early Court Appearance

In addition to the pistol, detectives seized a Taser stun gun, two other pistols, ammunition, a holster and a large knife from the kitchen, according to the warrant.

During a court appearance last week, Medina's attorneys asked the judge to allow crime scene technicians to take pictures of Medina before the evidence - apparently bruising or other indications of abuse - were gone.

More Local Stories: