Judge Says Trump Travel Ban Case Can Proceed in Lower Court | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Judge Says Trump Travel Ban Case Can Proceed in Lower Court

Trump's ban temporarily suspended the nation's refugee program and immigration from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    In a joint press conference with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Friday, President Donald Trump promised more security and a court win on his controversial travel ban enacted on Jan. 27 and halted by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Feb. 9, 2017. 

    (Published Friday, Feb. 10, 2017)

    A lawsuit by Washington state and Minnesota challenging President Donald Trump's travel ban will proceed as an appellate court considers a preliminary injunction in the case, a federal judge ruled Monday in Seattle.

    The Justice Department had wanted to put the case on hold while the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decides whether a larger, 11-judge panel will review a government request to allow the ban.

    But U.S. District Judge James Robart, who previously issued a temporary restraining order halting the ban, said the lawsuit can go forward. The states said that process wouldn't interfere with review by appellate courts.

    Robart directed both sides to prepare for their arguments on whether Trump's travel ban should be permanently blocked.

    Jewish Israeli Man Arrested for JCC Threats

    [NATL] Jewish Israeli Man Arrested for JCC Threats

    A 19-year-old Israeli man was arrested in connection with a wave of bomb threats against Jewish community centers in the United States. The man, who is Jewish, holds dual Israeli and American citizenship.

    (Published 23 minutes ago)

    A three-judge federal appeals court panel last week refused to toss out the injunction and reinstate the travel ban. The panel unanimously rejected the administration's claim of presidential authority in the matter.

    Washington and Minnesota argued that formal evidence gathering should begin immediately in the case.

    "Given the gravity of the states' constitutional allegations, defendants' stated national security concerns and the public interests at stake, the states respectfully submit that discovery should proceed without delay," the state lawyers said in a legal brief.

    Michelle Bennett, a Justice Department lawyer, told Robart there was no basis for speeding up the process, arguing the states are not being harmed because there's a temporary injunction in place.

    She asked Robart to stick with a previous schedule that gives the government until April 3 to file a response to the states' complaint. Robart said he was "surprised" by that statement, since the president had said he wants to "see you in court."

    After the 9th Circuit panel ruled against the Justice Department, Trump sent out a tweet saying, "SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!"

    Robart said there is a "very sensitive time issue" in the case and he wasn't prepared to slow it down.

    Also Monday, a federal judge in Virginia granted a preliminary injunction against the travel ban, saying there is evidence it would cause “irreparable injury” to Virginia residents and institutions.

    Obama Photographs on Display at National Portrait Gallery

    [NATL] Obama Photographs on Display at National Portrait Gallery

    Two photographs of President Barack Obama are on display at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.

    (Published 3 hours ago)

    Last week, the three-judge appellate panel sided with Washington and Minnesota, which say the ban illegally targets Muslims. Justice Department lawyers say it is intended to prevent terrorism and can't be second-guessed by courts.

    Trump's ban temporarily suspended the nation's refugee program and immigration from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen — nations that have sparked terrorism concerns.

    In deciding whether to put Trump's order on hold, the three-judge panel said the administration presented no evidence that any foreigner from the seven countries was responsible for a terrorist attack in the U.S.

    Trump's initial executive order sparked protests nationwide and confusion at airports as some travelers were detained.

    Man Who Broke Up Fight Between Teens in Viral Video Receives Honor in Atlantic City

    [NATL-PHI] Man Who Broke Up Fight Between Teens in Viral Video Receives Honor in Atlantic City

    Ibn Ali, the 27-year-old father of five who broke up a fight between two teens in a viral video, was honored for his actions in Atlantic City Wednesday. Ali was in tears as he described the impact his mother had on his life.

    (Published 3 hours ago)