Gas Grill in SUV Explodes When Woman Lights Up Cigarette - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Gas Grill in SUV Explodes When Woman Lights Up Cigarette

The woman lit a cigarette and moments later the grill exploded, police said

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Gas Grill in SUV Explodes When Woman Lights Up Cigarette
    Orlando Police Dept.
    A gas grill being transported inside the SUV in this picture exploded when a passenger lit a cigarette.

    A Florida couple was burned when the woman lit a cigarette, sparking an explosion of a propane barbecue grill being transported in their SUV.

    Orlando police Lt. Cindy Lane tells NBC affiliate WESH that the grill was turned on and the propane tank was open in the back of the red Kia Sorento as they left a barbecue at the Central Florida Fairgrounds on Sunday afternoon.

    The woman lit a cigarette and moments later the grill exploded, Lane said. The blast caused the driver to crash into a pole.  

    The force of the blast blew out the SUV's rear window.
    Photo credit: Orlando Police Dept.

    Lane says the woman and her husband were burned and their sports utility vehicle was severely damaged. The couple's injuries are not considered to be life-threatening.