News from around the state of Texas

Woman Electrocuted After Lifting Lamp From Wet Ground

Monday, Jan 13, 2014  |  Updated 11:19 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Woman Electrocuted After Lifting Wet Lamp

Shutterstock

advertisement

A Montana woman visiting family in Southeast Texas has died after picking up a lamp from some wet ground and being electrocuted.

The Galveston County Daily News reports the accident happened Sunday night in Texas City.

Fire Marshal Dennis Harris says the victim, whose name and hometown weren't immediately released, was barefoot in a wet yard. A table lamp being used outside was connected to an extension cord plugged into a socket inside the house. Harris says the woman was electrocuted when she touched the lamp.

Inspectors after the accident found electrical work not up to code at the house that had several additions.

Harris had electricity cut to the house following the accident. He says the wiring must meet code requirements before power will be restored.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out