Inspectors say a simple inspection could not have predicted the problems at the Lake Whitney house.
However, if a homeowner discovers a problem after closing, the inspectors typically have little liability.
In most cases, it’s limited to the inspector’s report fee, which is typically a few hundred dollars.
So before hiring an inspector:
- Make sure the inspector is licensed.
- The Texas Real Estate Commission website keeps a list of licensed inspectors.
- Home buyers should be present at the inspection so they can ask questions.
- An inspector is not required to predict future problems, only report current ones.
- Be sure to ask the inspector’s opinion about the life of major systems in the home including the electrical, plumbing, foundation and roof.