Two Treated After Pleasant Grove House Fire

Firefighter among those rushed to hospital

By Ellen Goldberg
|  Thursday, Jul 26, 2012  |  Updated 12:15 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A Pleasant Grove man rescued from a house fire by firefighters was hospitalized for smoke inhalation. A firefighter battling the blaze was treated for dehydration and was back at work later in the night.

Ellen Goldberg, NBC 5 News

A Pleasant Grove man rescued from a house fire by firefighters was hospitalized for smoke inhalation. A firefighter battling the blaze was treated for dehydration and was back at work later in the night.

A Dallas firefighter was among two people to leave an evening house fire in an ambulance Wednesday.

The fire broke out at a home in the 1800 block of Connor Road in Pleasant Grove at about 6 p.m.

When firefighters arrived at the house, the homeowner was trapped inside. Firefighters had to break down the door to rescue the middle-aged man.

The homeowner was transported to Parkland Hospital for smoke inhalation.

A rookie firefighter who wasn't yet accustomed to wearing all of his equipment in triple-digit heat was treated for dehydration.

"It takes a toll on us as firefighters," Dallas Fire-Rescue Lt. Joel Lavender said. "When we are wearing 75 to 100 pounds of protective firefighting equipment, it takes its toll on us."

The firefighter was given an IV and returned to work Wednesday night.

Investigators said they believed the fire started in the front of the house but are waiting to talk with the homeowner before identifying a cause.

At last check, the homeowner was still in Parkland with non-life-threatening injuries.

Fire officials said the blaze caused $20,000 in damages.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out