Kendra Lyn, NBC 5 News
An overloaded electrical system caused a fatal house fire in Collin County Monday night.
Two people did not survive a house fire in Collin County Monday night.
Several fire departments responded to the house fire in the 200-block of West Street in Weston, north of Celina at about 11:30 p.m.
Crews were forced to battle the blaze from outside the home because of the extreme smoke and flames.
“The fire is so intense whenever we arrive on location, that it’s not safe to send firefighters in at that point,” said Kyle Mills, Celine Fire Division Chief. “So, we fight the fire from the outside of the building.”
Firefighters were also protecting a nearby propane tank and cars from catching fire and exploding.
Collin County Fire Marshal Jason Browning confirms that two bodies were found close to the front door of the one-story home. It appeared the two were trying to escape the flames.
Browning determined that an overloaded electrical system caused the fire.
“It was an overloaded circuit,” said Browning. The fire could have been prevented with upgraded wiring, Browning added.
Investigators said there was a window air conditioner and lamp plugged into older wiring in a bedroom and it was too much power for the system.
Browning said the Weston Mayor was the first person to drive-by and see the flames. Another person tried to break a window and rescue the victims, but was pushed back by the raging flames.
Family members live across the street from the home and told investigators that the victims, reportedly two women, told the family that they planned to watch the Olympics before bed.
The medical examiner is working to identify the two victims.
Stay with NBC 5 for updates.