News from around the state of Texas

Texan Pleads Not Guilty in Sucker Punch Attack on Elderly Man

Friday, Jan 31, 2014  |  Updated 9:42 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Texan Pleads Not Guilty in Elderly Sucker Punch Attack

Shutterstock

advertisement

A white Houston-area man accused of sucker punching an elderly black man has pleaded not guilty to a federal hate crime charge.

Conrad Alvin Barrett entered his plea during a brief arraignment hearing Thursday in Houston federal court.

Investigators said Barrett broke the 79-year-old victim's jaw in two places in a Nov. 24 attack in the Houston suburb of Katy. They say he laughed and shouted "knockout" as the man fell to the ground.

Investigators said Barrett recorded the attack using his mobile phone and shared the video.

The 27-year-old was arrested Dec. 26 and indicted last week. He remains in custody.

George Parnham, Barrett's attorney, said his client has a bipolar disorder and was off his medication when the attack happened.

Barrett's trial is scheduled for March 10.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out