As 13-year old Cameron Russell remained in a medical coma at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, his community in Burleson gathered Sunday night to pray for him.
Cameron, his older brother, Nick; their two friends, Shawn Dean and Dakota Vasquez, were all injured in a flash fire last Wednesday. Firefighters said the boys were lighting gasoline on fire in the Russells’ back yard.
At a prayer circle on Sunday night, Nick Russell and Shawn Dean, both out of the hospital, spoke exclusively to NBC DFW.
“It just keeps replaying in my head over and over again,” said Russell. His arms and hands are covered in bandages. Russell said he tried to help his brother Cameron, who suffered the most burns. Cameron was covered in flames; 80 percent of his body was burned.
“I was still on fire when I was trying to put him out, I kept falling trying to get to the water hose and stuff,” said Russell.
“It’s traumatizing,” added Dean, who suffered burns to his face, and his arms and hands.
Vasquez is out of the intensive care unit, but still being treated at Parkland.
Now a community in Burleson continues to pray for the well-being of all the boys and that Cameron heals.
“I just want a lotta people to pray for him and help him out as much as they can that’s all I care about,” said Russell.
The families have set up online PayPal accounts to help offset medical expenses: