Ellen Goldberg, NBC 5 News
A fire sparked by a welding torch burned on the roof of the Plaza of the Americans building in downtown Dallas.
More than 60 firefighters battled a fire on the roof of a 25-story building in downtown Dallas on Tuesday night.
A welding torch being used by workers on roofing material sparked the blaze on the roof of the Plaza of the Americas building, Dallas Fire-Rescue said.
Witnesses said sparks flew out of the building in the 600 block of North Pearl Street just before 8 p.m.
People on the upper floors were ordered to evacuate. Everyone got out safely.
"The fire was on the roof," Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Joel Lavendar said. "It never made it inside the building but, nevertheless, because of the size of the building and the structure itself, we had to make sure that everyone was safe inside."
Firefighters shattered the windows on the 25th floor of the building to get up under the roof and put the fire out before it could spread.
The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage.
The Pearl Street Dallas Area Rapid Transit station shut down after the fire because of broken glass on the tracks. Officials hoped to get the station back up and running before the end of the night.
NBC 5's Ellen Goldberg contributed to this report.