Neighbor Rescues Mother, Four Children From Apartment Fire

View Comments ()



    A mother and her four children escaped a Dallas apartment fire, thanks to an alert neighbor. (Published Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013)

    A mother and her four children escaped a Dallas apartment fire Wednesday night, thanks to an alert neighbor.

    The fire broke out on the 7100 block of Fair Oaks Avenue.

    Amy Almazan told NBC 5, she was trying to start the fireplace in her apartment when her carpet caught fire.

    The fire caused various rooms in her unit to fill up with smoke.

    “My children were in the living room with me," Almazan said. "My 7-year-old, he ran upstairs, he was afraid, my 2-year-old ran in the bathroom. And I had to find them. I couldn’t get them out. It was scary cause my child, he’s seven, he ran upstairs, and the whole house was filling with smoke, and I just said Eric, come down, and he listened to me. Thank God he listened.”

    Almazan started yelling for help on her patio.

    A neighbor, Alex Harrington, came over and helped pull her four children over the patio wall. The children, ages 2,3, 4 and 7 made it out alive from the fire.

    “Thank God he came," Almazan said. "I don’t know him. But I want to tell him thank you for saving me and my kids. He helped me so much."

    Almazan found Harrington outside of her complex and gave him a long hug while crying and thanking him for saving her children.

    “I was actually scared," Harrington said. "It still shakes me up right now. Just watching her lose everything this close to the holidays."

    Almazan was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

    One of the children bumped his head and was treated at the scene.