Dog Credited with Saving Homeowner from House Fire

Police officer hospitalized for smoke inhalation following fire

By Christina Miralla
|  Thursday, May 17, 2012  |  Updated 10:32 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
The fire started just before 4 a.m. Thursday. Homeowner says her dog

Ben Russell, NBC 5 News

The fire started just before 4 a.m. Thursday. Homeowner says her dog "Baby Girl" woke her up and led her to safety.

A North Texas woman says her dog saved her from a fire in their home overnight Wednesday.

The fire started just before 4 a.m. Thursday and torched the garage of the $250,000 home on the 7100-block of Stone Villa Circle in North Richland Hills. Flames also spread to part of the home attached to the garage, firefighters said.

Upon arrival, firefighters learned was that someone may have been trapped inside, but that was not the case. A woman and her dog, a Boxer mixed-breed named Baby Girl, were in the house at the time of the fire, but she told NBC 5 that her dog woke her up and led her out of the home to safety.

The woman is being monitored by police and EMS.

A North Richland Hills police officer was first to arrive at the home and tried to rescue the woman. He was sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

"He made entry, or tried to make entry into the home," said assistant chief Kirk Marcum, with the North Richland Hills Fire Department. "He kicked the front door in and got a whiff of that heated gas and smoke and he was transported to the hospital for observation."

Firefighters are also dealing with a water main break at the scene of the fire, though Marcum told NBC 5 that the break did not impact the ability to get water to the hoses.

Investigators don't know what started the fire.

NBC 5's Ben Russell contributed to this report.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out