Mother Concerned for Son Missing in Haiti

Brendan Beck's mother said he was staying at the now collapsed Hotel Montana when the quake hit

Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    Rescuers search a collapsed section of the Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Eight people, including seven Americans, have been rescued from the rubble at the hotel.

    Hope is turning into frustration for a Fort Worth mother trying to find her son in Haiti

    Sally Baldwin’s 35-year-old son, Brendan Beck, is feared to be trapped in the Hotel Montana after it collapsed during last week's earthquake in Port-au-Prince. 

    Thousands are dead and many more are injured, but Baldwin and her family are hopeful Beck will be among those still being pulled from the rubble alive.

    "We’re frustrated that Facebook and Twitter is the only way for us to get information, and not our U.S. government," Baldwin said during a telephone interview Sunday.

    Mother Continues Search for Son Missing in Haiti

    [DFW] Mother Continues Search for Son Missing in Haiti
    A North Texas mother is continuing her search for her son, Brendan Beck, who went missing after last week's massive earthquake in Haiti.

    Beck’s father, his brother and best friend arrived in nearby Santa Domingo Sunday to try and get closer to the situation in hopes of finding answers to their questions.  

    Baldwin said the family's plans to head to Haiti to try and search for Beck may be scrapped for fears of the safety involving in making the trek.

    Beck is from Florida, but most recently resided in Washington, DC. Baldwin is also from Florida, but currently lives in Fort Worth after getting a job with Lockheed Martin. She is now back with family in Florida as they work together to get answers and bring Beck home.

    "It's going to be a miracle to find my son if he's still alive," Baldwin said Sunday. "I'm not leaving him [in Haiti] in any shape or form."

    Beck wasn't even supposed to be in Port-au-Prince Tuesday. 

    Baldwin said her son's connecting flight to a city on the northern part of Haiti was canceled.  That forced he and five others he was traveling with to book hotel rooms to stay the night in Haiti.

    Baldwin said Beck is a civil engineer for a company contracted by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to analyze infrastructure in northern Haiti.

    Brendan’s brother, Matthew Beck, said Brendan sent an email to family that was time stamped just 9 minutes before the quake began. 

    The email simply stated that he made it to Haiti safely.

    Matthew also said in an email to NBCDFW that his brother was chatting with his girlfriend just seconds before the quake began.

    Late Monday, Baldwin returned home to North Texas. Baldwin told NBC 5, she talked to several Haitian officials who told her, the mission at the Hotel Montana was no longer a rescue mission, but a recovery effort. Baldwin is not happy with the news.

    "What we need, top priority, is that rescue operations continue until there are no more survivors." Baldwin said. "Keep looking. There can still be survivors in there and don't' stop until you account for everybody," Baldwin said.

    Baldwin also wants the U.S. State Department to set up a camp in Port-au-Prince to communicate with Americans looking for loved ones. Right now, Baldwin said she can't even get basic questions answered.

    "I asked where are the deceased Americans being taken, and the response is,'We don't know,'" Baldwin said.

    Even though the situation looks grim, Baldwin said she's cautiously optimistic.

    "It's torturous not knowing. Of course I want him back. I want him to come home," Baldwin said, fighting back tears.

    Brendan’s 35th birthday was Friday.