Mother Injured in Dallas Apartment Fire

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A mother is in the hospital after being injured during a two-alarm apartment fire in Dallas. (Published Wednesday, Jul 24, 2013)

    A mother is in the hospital after being injured during a two-alarm apartment fire in Dallas.

    The fire broke out around 3 a.m. Wednesday at the Hilton Head apartment complex on McCree Road.

    A DFR report stated the fire started in the third floor unit where the injured mother and son were sleeping. Fire investigators reported the blaze began after the mother and son fell alseep with a candle that was left burning. That candle reportedly ignited combustibles which spread throughout the bedroom, the apartment unit, and eventually the complex.

    The report also stated that the mother was able to wake up when the smoke alarm activated and saw her bedroom on fire. According to Dallas Fire-Rescue, the mother ran through flames to retrieve her son and was injured. The baby was unhurt.

    Earlier reports stated the mother's child was also hospitalized due to health concerns, but Dallas Fire-Rescue's Jason Evans said the one-year-old child did not suffer any injuries as a result of the fire.

    The child is still at a local hospital under the care of family members.

    The mother suffered "serious" burns and was rushed to the hospital. DFR said the mother is being treated for burns to the back.

    Dozens of Dallas firefighters responded to the blaze. It took them about an hour to put out the fire.

    Sixteen units were affected by the fire, potentially impacting dozens of residents. The Red Cross assisted the displaced apartment residents.