Omar Villafranca, NBC 5 News
Two Dallas firefighters went to a hospital for heat-related issues while battling a large fire at a recycling center.
Three people have been injured, including two firefighters, after a massive fire broke out Friday afternoon at the Waste Management recycling facility in Dallas.
The fire was first reported at about 2 p.m. at the facility in the 5000 block of Cash Road.
Fire officials believe the fire started when a front-loader moving bales of cardboard fell over. Wind is then believed to have pushed sparks and embers onto cardboard, starting and spreading the fire.
At least one vehicle and several piles of cardboard recyclables were destroyed in the fire.
Three people were injured, including two firefighters who were hospitalized for heat-related issues and a civilian who was treated at the scene with breathing problems.
With temperatures in North Texas expected to reach 100 degrees Friday, officials escalated the fire first to three alarms and eventually to four alarms to allow for manpower relief for firefighters working in excessive heat.