NBC 5 has compiled a list of recent mass shootings in Texas and nationwide:
- Austin, Aug. 1, 1966 — Thirteen people killed and more than 30 wounded as a gunman opened fire from the 28th floor of the University of Texas campus tower.
- Dallas, Jun 29, 1984 — Six people killed in a shooting at the Ianni's Nightclub.
- Killeen, Oct. 16, 1991 — Twenty-three people killed in a Luby's restaurant. At the time, the mass shooting was considered the deadliest by a single shooter in American history.
- Fort Worth, Sept. 15, 1999 — Seven people killed at a youth prayer rally at Wedgwood Baptist Church.
- McKinney, March 12, 2004 — Four people were fatally shot inside a home in McKinney, including 46-year-old Rosa Barbosa.
- Fort Hood, Nov. 5, 2009 — Thirteen people killed and more than 30 wounded at the Central Texas Army post.
- Fort Hood, April 2, 2014 — Three people killed and more than a dozen others wounded.
- Waco, May 17, 2015 — Nine people killed and 20 wounded in a shooting involving multiple shooters outside a Twin Peaks restaurant where members of multiple biker groups were meeting.
- Houston, Aug. 8, 2015 — Eight people killed, including six children, in a shooting at a home.
- Palestine, Nov. 15, 2015 — Six people killed in a shooting at a campsite.
- Dallas, July 7, 2016 — Five police officers killed, seven officers wounded and two civilians wounded in a shooting that followed a downtown rally organized to protest the deaths of black men who were shot by police in Louisiana and Minnesota.
- Plano, Sept. 10, 2017 — Eight people killed and one wounded in a shooting at a home during a cookout and Dallas Cowboys watch party.
- San Ysidro, Calif., July 18, 1984 — Twenty-one people killed at a McDonald's restaurant
- Littleton, Colo., April 20, 1999 — Thirteen killed and 20 wounded at Columbine High School
- Blacksburg, Va., April 16, 2007 — Thirty-two killed on the Virginia Tech campus
- Binghamton, N.Y., April 3, 2009 — Thirteen people killed and four wounded at a citizenship class
- Aurora, Colo., July 20, 2012 — Twelve killed and 70 wounded at a movie theater
- Newtown, Conn., Dec. 14, 2012 — Twenty-six people, including 20 first graders, killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School
- Washington, D.C., Sept. 16, 2013 — Twelve killed and three injured at the Washington Navy Yard
- Charleston, S.C., June 18, 2015 — Nine people killed at a prayer meeting at historic African-American church
- Roseburg, Ore., Oct. 1, 2015 — Ten people killed and seven wounded at Umpqua Community College
- San Bernardino, Calif., Dec. 2, 2015 — Fourteen people killed and 20 wounded at a community center
- Orlando, Fla., June 12, 2016 — Fifty people killed and 53 wounded at the Pulse Nightclub