Lockdown Lifted at Little Elm High School

Room-to-room sweep conducted after students report rumor of threat

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Little Elm High School briefly was on a precautionary lockdown Wednesday morning because of a rumor that a student was bringing a gun to school. (Published Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013)

    Little Elm High School briefly was on a precautionary lockdown Wednesday morning because of a rumor that a student was bringing a gun to school.

    The Little Elm Independent School District said the student made comments to some friends that appeared to be threatening. Those students contacted police, and the school was locked down for about an hour and 40 minutes.

    Facebook Post Puts Little Elm HS on Lockdown

    [DFW] Facebook Post Puts Little Elm HS on Lockdown
    The Little Elm Independent School District placed Little Elm High School on a "precautionary lockdown" Wednesday morning after a student posted on Facebook about bringing a gun to school. (Published Wednesday, Oct 30, 2013)

    Police Chief Waylan Rhodes said the student, previously said to be a male freshman, was being teased at school Tuesday when he threatened to bring a weapon to school.

    Contrary to initial reports, the threat was not posted on Facebook or any other social media site, Rhodes said.

    There also were unsubstantiated reports of gunfire in the case, but no shots were fired at or near the school, police said.

    Little Elm ISD spokeswoman Julie Zwahr said the lockdown was lifted at 11:30 a.m. after the student was located. The student was in Dallas with his mother on Wednesday and was not in class.

    "She volunteered to bring him up here to clear up the incident and get his side of the story., so until we hear more from him, we'll know if any action will be taken on our part," Rhodes said.

    Police conducted a room-to-room sweep of the high school while it was locked down. No one was injured, and no weapon was found.

    Laura Warner, a senior, said the street in front of the high school was shut down and SWAT teams were on the scene.

    "I'm glad everything turned out better than it could have gone," she said.

    "My son, who is a 10th-grader texted me and said, 'We're in lockdown. SWAT is here. Can you come get me?'" said Shanna Kirby, a parent.

    Both Zwahr and Rhodes said they were proud of the students who reported the alleged threat for speaking up, saying the situation is a good example of everyone doing the right thing.

    "As [a] school official, we are pleased the students who thought there might be a threat to this campus or to another individual on campus reported it," Zwhar said. "The appropriate system was in place that followed and resulted in a safe outcome."

    "Oh, I commend the students for doing just that, because had they not said anything, we didn't know. Let's say the threat was carried out; we would be much more reactive that responsive like we were today," Rhodes said.

    In a press released issued by the town, Rhodes commended the school district for closely following protocol.

    "When emergencies and contingencies like this one occur, it's paramount that we act in accordance with established policy," he said. "That's exactly what happened in this case. Fortunately, it ended with the best outcome."

    NBC 5's Catherine Ross contributed to this report.