Complete and continuing coverage of the fatal shootings at Fort Hood on Nov. 5, 2009

Judge: Fort Hood Suspect Could Be Forcibly Shaved

Hasan has to shave before Aug. 20 or he will be forcibly shaved

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    AP
    This undated photo provided by the Bell County Sheriff's Department via The Temple Daily Telegram shows Nidal Hasan. A military judge was to decide Friday, June 29, 2012 whether to further delay the trial Hasan, an the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shootings. (AP Photo/Bell County Sheriff's Department via The Temple Daily Telegram)

    A judge says the Army psychiatrist charged in the fatal Fort Hood shooting rampage will be forcibly shaved if he doesn't remove his beard on his own.

    Maj. Nidal Hasan appeared in court Wednesday sporting a beard, as he did during a court appearance last month. The beard violates Army regulations.

    Hasan said his beard is an expression of his Muslim faith.

    On Wednesday, Col. Gregory Gross found Hasan in contempt of court for keeping the beard and fined him $1,000. Fort Hood spokesman Chris Haug said Gross gave Hasan the choice to shave on his own or be forcibly shaved sometime before his court-martial begins Aug. 20.

    It's not yet clear what Hasan and his attorneys will decide.

    Hasan is charged with killing 13 people in the 2009 attack.