Irving Middle School Evacuated Due to Gas Leak

No injuries reported

View Comments ()



    The strong smell of natural gas prompted the evacuation of Sam Houston Middle School in Irving Wednesday afternoon.

    Officials with the Irving Independent School District said a leak near a construction site on the roof of the school prompted 1,000 students to be evacuated to the football field and gymnasium as a precaution.

    At 2:30 p.m., the district said Atmos Energy had capped the leak.  A city inspector and officials with the fire department cleared the students to return to the building a short time later.

    The school is located near Country Club Drive and Pleasant Run Road near Victoria Park.

    No injuries were reported.

    NBC 5 has crews on the way to the scene.  We'll update this story with more information as it's received.