Infant Killed in Fort Worth House Fire

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Capt. Larry Manasco says the fire that killed a 5-month-old girl appears accidental.

    An infant was killed in a house fire in southeast Fort Worth Saturday.

    The fire broke out at the home along the 2800 block of Sarah Jane Lane at about 11 a.m. When firefighters arrived at the home they reported heavy flames visible and that a 5-month-old girl was said to be inside.

    Firefighters began attacking the fire to get inside the home, but by the time they got inside the child was deceased.

    Six adults and two children were inside the home at the time of the fire, though there were no other reported injuries.

    "This looks to be an accidental fire," said Capt. Larry Manasco, with the Fort Worth Fire Department. "I think there was some confusion on the part of the adults, that another adult had actually taken the baby away.  That's what makes this all the more tragic and, again, accidental."

    Investigators said the fire started in a front bedroom and that they don't believe there were working smoke detectors in the home.

    "As a department, we would stress ... check and make sure the batteries are working.  Had batteries been working in these smoke detectors, it may have been able to prevent it [the death], not for sure, but it certainly couldn't have hurt," said Manasco.

    The Tarrant County medical examiner will determine the child's official cause of death.