Ellen Goldberg, NBC 5 News
A family in Plano that couldn't reach city officials had their heat turned back on just before Christmas Eve.
A Plano family worried they’d have to shiver through the long holiday weekend, after a gas leak at their house on Thursday night. Atmos had to shut off their gas.
By Friday, Brenda Speed, her kids, and her parents, visiting from Kentucky, were huddled around a space heater.
”It’s very miserable,” she said. “Everyone has been bundled up in blankets and jackets and slippers.”
The Speed’s have been without heat and hot water since Thursday night, when they smelled a strong gas odor outside their house. Atmos shut the gas off immediately.
First thing Friday morning, a plumber repaired a hole in their pipe. The next call was to the city of Plano, for an inspection, so that Atmos could turn the gas back on.
“I have personally tried to call the city of Plano, no answer, no voice mail,” said Speed. “The plumber even went by City Hall to see if there was an emergency number listed there, and there’s no emergency contact available,” said Speed.
NBC 5 contacted Plano’s Assistant City Manager who gave us an after hours emergency number.
Turns out the same phone number is listed on the city's website, just not under the gas section.
About an hour after Brenda put in a call, a city worker was at her front door, and issued her the permit she needs to restore her gas.
A Christmas that looked bleak, once again seems bright.
“This is wonderful to have the heat turned on,” said Speed. “Christmas will be fabulous, like its supposed to be.”