Complete and continuing coverage of the fatal shootings at Fort Hood on Nov. 5, 2009

Hasan's Beard Keeps Him From Going to Court

Suspected shooter can't attend hearings until he shaves

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    AP
    FILE --This April 9, 2010, file photo released by the Bell County Sheriffs Department shows U.S. Major Nidal Hasan at the San Antonio to Bell County Jail in Belton, Texas, A hearing to determine whether Nidal should stand trial in the worst mass shooting on a U.S. military base was to resume Monday Nov. 15, 2010. (AP Photo/Bell County Sheriffs Department, File)

    A judge has barred an Army psychiatrist charged in a deadly shooting rampage at Fort Hood from military court because he still has a beard.

    Maj. Nidal Hasan was told Tuesday that he couldn't attend any more hearings unless he shaves. The judge, Col. Gregory Gross, initially warned Hasan that he was violating Army policy at a hearing earlier this month.

    Hasan was removed from court and was to watch the rest of Tuesday's proceedings on closed-circuit television from a nearby room.

    Lead defense attorney Lt. Col. Kris Poppe says Hasan grew the beard as a "deeply sincere" expression of his Islamic faith and because he has a premonition he will die soon.

    Hasan faces the death penalty in the 2009 attack that killed 13 people in Texas.