Methanol Exposure Hospitalizes 7

By Frank Heinz
|  Friday, Dec 14, 2012  |  Updated 4:29 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Methanol Exposure Hospitalizes 7

advertisement

Coppell firefighters and HAZMAT teams were called to the 1400-block of S. Belt Line Road Friday afternoon after several people became ill.

According to Coppell Deputy Fire Chief Eric Greaser, seven people were hospitalized after they became nauseus and began vomiting after smelling methanol.

According to Sharon Logan, with the city of Coppell, several people at Hyundai Motor America were exposed after a barrel was punctured.

Methanol, or methyl alcohol, is a widely used solvent and fuel that can irritate eyes, skin and the respiratory system while causing headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting.  Exposure can, in severe cases, cause blindness, according to the United States Department of Labor.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out