Ken Kalthoff, NBCDFW.com
A grass fire sparked by a piece from a piece of mowing equipment is now mostly contained.
A large grass fire threatened homes east of Waxahachie on Tuesday.
The fire burned between 100 and 300 acres near Ike Road and was 75 percent contained Tuesday night.
Multiple departments responded to battle the blaze, with a mix of volunteer and professional firefighters from 17 different departments from nearby cities.
Fire crews initially had trouble containing the blaze because of high winds, Ellis County Judge Carol Bush said Tuesday afternoon.
Officials in the area evacuated the nearby neighborhood as a precaution. Residents have been allowed to return to their homes but were urged to stay watchful.
The initial address of the fire was the 300 block of Ike Road and was expanded to include the area between Wilson Road and Farm-to-Market Road 879.
The fire destroyed a boat, an RV and a pickup truck.
No injuries were reported as of 6 p.m.
The fire was caused by a spark from a brush hog.
NBC 5's Ken Kalthoff contributed to this report.