A Parker County resident trying to burn trash sparked a grass fire that burned more than 240 acres Thursday.
More than 130 firefighters from 12 different departments were called to help put out the flames.
Shawn Scott, coordinator of Parker County's Emergency Management, said conditions were perfect for a grass fire.
"Of course with the wind speeds and the conditions we had this afternoon, it didn't take long for it to get way out of control," he said.
Scott said the first crews on the scene immediately realized the fire was too big for one crew and called for more help. A Department of Public Safety helicopter helped ground crews locate hot spots to douse with water.
Scott said there were tense moments when the flames came close to several homes.
"We had about 15 homes on the east side of the road that were in danger if the fire had jumped the road," he said. "They would have been in immediate danger, so we had about 15 homes that we asked individuals to leave."
A controlled burn was performed near Russell Bend Road close to some of the homes. Scott said the controlled burn will keep the fire from jumping the road and getting close to homes.
Once the controlled burn was extinguished, residents were allowed back into their homes.
Scott said the resident who accidentally started the fire was cited for violating a burn ban and reckless damage. He also said the resident could have been held liable for the damage if any homes had been burned.