Wylie residents in the 300 block of Brown Street were allowed to return to their homes after they were evacuated when a construction crew hit a gas line Friday afternoon.
Atmos Energy said a third party contractor nicked a low pressure natural gas line under the road just before 2:30 p.m. Gas was shut off and Atmos said it would take about an hour to repair the line.
The fire department evacuated six homes in the 300 and 400 blocks of Brown Street as a precaution according to Atmos. The fire department said it didn't believe there was any danger but crews will monitor the homes for any natural gas buildup.
Part of the street will need to be torn up to make the repairs, Atmos said traffic on the street would be shut down for a few hours.
Just before 6:30 p.m. the City of Wylie said residents on Brown Street were allowed to return home.