Complete and continuing coverage of the fatal shootings at Fort Hood on Nov. 5, 2009

Fort Hood Shooting Suspect Seeks Trial Delay Again

Hasan's attorneys ask that trial be postponed from June until October

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    AP
    This April 9, 2010, file photo from the Bell County Sheriffs Department shows Major Nidal Hasan at the San Antonio to Bell County Jail in Belton.

    A military judge heard arguments Tuesday on whether to postpone until October the trial of an Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly Fort Hood shooting rampage.

    The judge, Col. Gregory Gross, did not make a decision on the request for a continuance. He indicated he would issue his opinion at another hearing in the near future, according to a press release from Fort Hood.

    Maj. Nidal Hasan's attorneys said the delay is necessary because of the large volume of documents and evidence in the case and the anticipated disclosure of more items.

    The prosecutors said Hasan's attorneys has had ample time to review the evidence. They also asked that his attorneys file any further motions as soon as possible.

    Gross had previously delayed the trial from March until June.

    Last week, Gross granted the defense team's request for a government-paid forensic pathologist to review autopsy reports from the November 2009 attack. He denied prosecutors' request to admit evidence before the trial, including 911 calls made from the Texas Army post during the attack.

    Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder. He faces the death penalty if convicted.