A woman formerly of Southlake who was injured in a fireworks accident in Greece last month has been discharged from the hospital.
Vicky Presmyk was with a group of American tourists, including her husband Chris, who were injured by homemade fireworks during an Easter celebration on the Greek island of Santorini.
The couple and two of their friends were flown to Crete for treatment. Chris Presmyk suffered injuries to his face, his wife Vicky underwent abdominal surgery before being released Tuesday.
"I want to thank the kind generous people of Crete, for their love and care and concern. There have been so many people that have stopped by and said hello and showered me with kindnesses, that I can never repay. I want to thank the good doctors and nurses and staff of the hospital," said Vicky Presmyk. "Then there was a kind cleaning lady, Eva, that has been more than I could have ever expected, she showered my family with lots of food and lots of love, and I am forever grateful to Crete."
The Presmyks, who now live in Romania and were visiting Greece for the holiday, are headed home but said they would return to Greece in the future to thank those who have aided in Vicky's recovery.
"Sometimes it just seems so surreal, it still doesn't seem, you know, like a dream, or a nightmare. It just doesn't, make sense. But I am good, I am heading home, and I am going to get on the road to recovery," Vicky Presmyk said.
Presmyk's doctor said she will still need plastic surgery, some skin grafts and some outpatient treatment to fully recover from her injuries; all of which are considered minor at this point.
It's an annual tradition in Greece to fire rockets in the form of fireworks at rival churches after Easter midnight mass. Still, homemade fireworks are illegal in Greece and at least two of the people arrested face charges of causing grievous bodily harm and illegal weapons possession.
Chris Presmyk said he didn't realize until it was too late that some of the fireworks were homemade.
"We did not know, we thought it would be normal fireworks, but of course it was homemade explosive devices," said Chris Presmyk. "And so we were watching from the side and the explosive devices, they got bigger and louder, so there was a gentleman in front of us who said we should back away, and so we turned to do that, and immediately there was an explosion behind us, that was very loud and very close."
The couple's daughter attends Southern Methodist University and has been in contact with her parents since the incident.