Fire Forces Evacuation of Retirement Home Residents

Only minor injuries reported after fire

By Ben Russell
|  Thursday, Mar 1, 2012  |  Updated 9:14 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Lt. Ricardo Neaves with the Fort Worth Fire Department talks about a fire at a Fort Worth senior living center.

Lt. Ricardo Neaves with the Fort Worth Fire Department talks about a fire at a Fort Worth senior living center.

advertisement

Dozens of elderly residents of a southwest Fort Worth senior living apartment complex were evacuated overnight Wednesday because of a fire.

The fire was reported at 12:30 a.m. Thursday at the Normandale Place Apartments in the 8700 block of S. Normandale Street.

Several people were evacuated because smoke from the fire swept through the hallways, according to fire officials.

A man was hurt during the evacuation after he reportedly fell down the steps while he was trying to leave.  He was treated on the scene. A female resident was taken to a local hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Firefighters reported that the cause of the fire was food left unattended and cooking on a stove top.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out