Firefighter Tries to Save Cousin in Fatal Fire

One man dead in developing story

By Christina Miralla
|  Monday, Apr 30, 2012  |  Updated 11:01 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A firefighter responded to a fire at a Parker County home to discover his cousin didn't make it out of the flames on Sunday night.

Ben Russell, NBC 5 News

A firefighter responded to a fire at a Parker County home to discover his cousin didn't make it out of the flames on Sunday night.

advertisement

One man is dead after a late-night fire at a home in Parker County.

Fire crews from five departments battled the flames on the 1600-block of Bill B. Road, just off of Farm-to-Market Road 730 between Azle and Boyd.

The home is in an unincorporated, secluded part of Parker County, which made it difficult for fire crews to access.

The first firefighter to arrive at the home, which was tucked behind a relative's home on a plot of family land, was reportedly the cousin of the man who was killed, according fire officials.

The firefighter tried to kick in the door to rescue his cousin, but the flames were too strong and he had to wait for backup before he could enter the house.

Firefighters eventually found the victim, a man in his 40s, lying dead on the living room floor.

The cause of the fire appears to be from a cigarette the man lit before falling asleep, according to a Parker County Fire Marshal.

NBC 5's Ben Russell contributed to this report.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out