Family Pet Dies in Fort Worth Fire

By Keaton Fox
|  Thursday, Jun 13, 2013  |  Updated 9:15 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A Fort Worth family says their dog was killed in a fire Thursday morning.

Keaton Fox, NBC 5

A Fort Worth family says their dog was killed in a fire Thursday morning.

advertisement

A Fort Worth family says their dog was killed in a fire Thursday morning.

Antonio Lewis said he was asleep at about 5:30 a.m. in the home in the 4200 block of Littlejohn Street when he woke up and saw flames coming from a wall plug where an air conditioning unit was plugged in.

Within a few minutes, the flames were three to five feet tall and engulfing the room.

"It was probably about a 3-foot flame," Lewis said. "I tried to put it out, but, when I tried to put it out, it spread up the wall. Then it went into the ceiling, and we just had to get out of there."

Lewis and his wife got out of the home, but the family dog was trapped inside and died.

The couple wasn't injured. Lewis said their children were away visiting relatives.

The front part of the home is a complete loss and other areas are damaged with smoke.  The couple said they are insured, though a damage estimate has not been released.

Firefighters said the fire has been ruled accidental.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out