It's hard to forget what happened to Christopher Robran when he threw some extra batteries for his nicotine device in his pants pocket.
"It sounded like a fuse going off, and then there's like fireworks going off in my pants," Robran said.
Two years ago, the North Texas man showed us the hole left behind in his blue jeans and the damage done to his thigh after those batteries exploded.
He says flames were shooting from his pants.
"So, I'm pulling my pants down, and my two friends come running over to me," Robran said.
The problem is pretty simple if you were paying attention in science class.
The two batteries were in his pocket with his keys. The metal interacted with the lithum ion batteries. That's when the power started flowing.
The company that makes them said it caused a short circuit and led to the fire in his pants.
But with so many people using these devices, and often needing backup because the battery dies, the government is taking action.
The Food and Drug Administration is holding a meeting of the minds in April to discuss what happened to Robran and other Americans who have had batteries overheat, catch fire or explode.
They're hoping to come up with safety features, design changes and some other alternative form of powering the electronic nicotine devices to make sure what happened to people like Robran doesn't happen again.
"I want everyone to know about the dangers of these, and they need to take precautions if they're looking into buying these," he said.
In the meantime, remember to be cautious about how and where you store your batteries.