Covering the massive State Fair of Texas

Electrical Short Caused Big Tex's Demise

Fair organizers vow to rebuild Big Tex

View Comments ()



    Dallas fire officials say an electrical short in Big Tex's wiring caused the fiery demise of the towering cowboy who had been an icon of the State Fair of Texas for 60 years.

    Dallas Fire-Rescue released the official cause of the fire on Tuesday, saying it was due to an "unspecified electrical short."

    Fairgoers React to the Big Tex Blaze

    [DFW] Fairgoers React to the Big Tex Blaze
    Attendees at the State Fair of Texas react to the destructive fire that burnt through the iconic Big Tex. (Published Friday, Oct. 19, 2012)

    The 52-foot-tall cowboy who greeted fair-goers with a "Howdy, folks!" was destroyed by fire on Friday.

    After the blaze was extinguished, the tarp-covered remains were hauled from the fairgrounds on a flatbed truck in a procession resembling a funeral.

    Fair organizers have vowed to rebuild Big Tex for next year.

    State Fair of Texas:
    Howdy, Folks! Join in on the big fun at the State Fair of Texas by taking a look at our special section full of fried food, special events, deals and discounts, and much more. Click here for more.