Dog Injured in Kwik Kar Lube Fire on the Mend

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The community is pulling together after Jake the dog was hurt in a fire at the Kwik Kar in Bedford Tuesday. (Published Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013)

    Jake the dog, who was injured in a fire Tuesday at a Kwik Kar Lube and Tune business in Bedford, is on the mend.

    The fire broke out inside a car that was being serviced Tuesday and quickly spread through the business. As firefighters gained control of the fire, Jake, the owner's dog, was found inside the business injured.

    Firefighters carried Jake to safety and began giving him oxygen while putting him on an IV. He was later hospitalized at a vet's office with his prognosis for recovery guarded.

    On Friday afternoon, NBC 5 learned Jake's condition is improving and that he has been taken off of oxygen, is holding down food and will probably go home this weekend.

    Vernon Dede, the owner of the shop, said he often took Jake to work with him and that his dog was such a common fixture at the shop that he built a free dog park next door, not only for Jake, but for other dogs as well.

    Dede said he is grateful for the support he has received not only from firefighters, but from customers who learned of Jake's injury in the fire.

    "I really want to thank the fire department for saving my dog," said Vernon Dede. "The overwhelming response to his well being just takes my breath away."

    No one working inside the business was injured.