Dallas police officers and Dallas firefighters today launched the opening salvos in what promises to be a weeklong bloody battle.
It’s called Battle of the Badges Blood Drive, and it’s out to increase the available supplies of blood needed for emergency situations.
The drive started this morning at Dallas City Hall with a blah, blah council briefing and obligatory photo opp to be followed, oh, right about now — noon — with the official challenge issued by police and firefighters.
The real work of collecting donations — drip by bloody drip — also kicked off at 10 this morning in the City Hall lobby. Blood takers remain there unto 2 p.m. today.
Ah, but wait, the Red Cross organizers want more than just police and fire blood. They want yours, too, and volunteers can serve up that hemoglobin right along side the emergency personnel.
The drive runs through Jan. 12, and it moves from place to place throughout the city. The full schedule:
- Jan. 5, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Jack Evans, 1400 S. Lamar St.
- Jan. 6, 7 a.m.-noon, Doctor's Hospital, 9440 Poppy Drive
- Jan. 6, 3 p.m.-7 p.m., Northeast Division Headquarters, 9915 E. Northeast Highway
- Jan. 6, 3 p.m.-7 p.m., Northwest Division Headquarters, 9801 Harry Hines Blvd.
- Jan. 8, 10 a.m.- 2 p.m., Southwest Division Headquarters, 4230 West Illinois Ave.
- Jan. 10, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., North Central Division Headquarters, 6969 McCallum Blvd.
- Jan. 10, 10 a.m.- 4 p.m., Dallas DA Office, 133 N. Industrial Blvd.
- Jan. 12, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., City Hall Lobby 1500 Marilla St.
- Jan. 12, 3 p.m.- 7 p.m., Southeast Division Headquarters, 725 North Jim Miller Road
No fire stations?