**This story has been updated. To read the most recent version, click here.**
Dallas firefighters have contained a 4-alarm fire at an apartment complex that started Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters were initially called to the Stone Ranch Apartments on the 9300 block of Skillman Street late Thursday afternoon. The fire was at 3-alarms at the time, but was upgraded to a 4-alarm soon after.
About 75 to 80 firefighters were on the scene.
At first, flames were not yet visible through the roof and only heavy smoke could be seen coming from the building.
Just before 6 p.m., the fire grew much stronger and exploded out of windows on the second and third floors. Firefighters on the roof quickly retreated to a ladder and climbed down to the ground.
The fire then spread throughout the building, devouring the roof and collapsing chimney stacks.
The blaze was under control at about 7:45 p.m., according to Jason Evans with Dallas Fire-Rescue.
Evans said the fire started in a third-floor apartment, spread to the wall and into the attic.
"I was running down the stairs," said 22-year-old Dmydc Williams, who lives next door to the apartment where the fire started. "I was scared. Main thing I was thinking, get my little baby brother. I got an 8-year-old brother. I said get his stuff and go."
Chopper 5 caught video of a large flash of flames that could be seen coming from the building.
Evans said he is not sure how the flash relates to the alarms called, but it might have appeared after a window was opened.
"That may be what a lot of people are thinking was an explosion," Evans said. "It sure did create that effect and thankfully our firefighters weren't close enough to that window that it caused them any injury."
A firefighter, who was pulling at the ceiling, has been treated for a minor injury after debris fell on him.
The American Red Cross said 90 people have been displaced and as many as 48 apartments have been destroyed or are without essential services after the fire. The Red Cross is helping displaced families.
The cause of the fire has not yet been revealed.